Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Grapefruit+Breakfast=YUM


When I was a little kid, my Mom made us breakfast all the time, every morning. We ate breakfast together as a family before school, and before my Dad went to work. (I know, my Mom is fantastic.) We sat at the kitchen table and ate as a family. Today I had a grapefruit for breakfast and as I was cutting it I remembered how we often had them for breakfast as kids at our house. I remember that my Dad, Mom and  Brothers ate theirs out of the peel, and my Mom usually cute mine and put it in a bowl. Probably because I was too little to get it out of the peel on my own. Though I won't have said that today's grapefruit was the best that I have ever had, it was still really good. . . and the best part was the memories that went with it.

How to pick out a tasty grapefruit?

The fruits should be heavy for their size as this usually indicates that they feature thin skins and therefore a higher concentration of juicier flesh. Those that have overly rough or wrinkled skin usually tend to be thick skinned and should be avoided.
Grapefruits should be firm, yet slightly springy when gentle pressure is applied. While chilled grapefruits do not have an apparent fragrance, those kept at room temperature should have a subtly sweet aroma. Grapefruits can be purchased throughout the year although the height of the season ranges from winter through early spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment